About Me

My photo
I attend the University of South Alabama, majoring in Secondary Education Sciences. This is my blog for EDM 310 with Dr. Strange. I want to teach 11th grade Sciences. Any subject is good, I love them all. I want to be a role model for my students. Someone they can look up to and look to for advice.
Also, I love music. I love to hang out with my friends and have fun.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Blog Post #8

This Is How We Dream Part 1 and 2

In the video, “This Is How We Dream Part 1 2”, Richard Miller discusses what can happen if students watch or listen to a lesson being taught. Mr. Miller is a professor at Rutgers University. He uses multi-media to teach his students. He starts with the incremental changes before he gets to the fundamental change. He states he will change that there are no more pens, paper, and visits to libraries. He then says how desks won't be important unless the students’ computer is on it. He wants students to learn multimedia for word processing and doc sharing. He shows an advantage of using multimedia where you can search in all libraries across the world for resources.

In part 2 of Mr. Miller's video, he talks about how the material is different and changes constantly. He says there much more learning done with the new program. He talks about the academic information you can obtain when using iTunes U. He states, culture and our background is what helps form our ideas. I agree when he says that "us as educators need to and must be in the business of sharing ideas freely". He then states four things that are needed to start this program: Ubiguitous Composing Technology, Inspiring Teachers of New Media Composing, Spaces That Foster Collaborative Learning, and Pedagogues That Foster Creativity and Collaborations.

I liked watching Mr. Miller's video. I do think it will be quite so time if this conversion will happen. I think his example about the libraries was great, however, I don't think if I could do away with books. I have heard of, and used, iTunes U and I found it to be helpful, but I did have a book to use as an extra reference.

Carly Pugh Blog Post #12


Carly Pugh's blog post, was great. Her playlist assignment was a great idea. She put a lot of thought into this blog and you can tell be her end results. Carly's playlist that she created is a great example of the multimedia usage that Mr. Miller was talking about. Her playlist examples show what Mr. Miller wants when using multimedia by showing that you can still learn about important people without books and paper.

Chipper

and

EDM for Dummies


After watching the videos, Chipper and EDM for Dummies, I believe I would make a video about Podcasting. I really do love the idea of podcasting and had fun learning about podcast and how they can help in the classroom. In my video I would explain what a podcast it and show why and how I would use a podcast in my classroom. I would explain how you can have an audio or video podcast and tell that I would I mostly use an audio podcast. What I would do is record all of my lessons for students, so they can listen to on their own time. I love podcasts so much because it is a great way for students to stay caught up and to review something if they miss a class or didn’t completely understand at first.

Learning to Change, Change to Learn


This video starts out with different individuals talking about how there need to be a charge when it comes to learning in the classroom. One man states that "schools are like factories." Another man says “It’s all about control and order." Another man talks about how kids are "having a more stimulating and rich environment out of school then in school". I do agree that kids today are doing more learning out of the classroom then in. Kids are using technology out of school and while there are in school they barley work with technology at all. They have too much fun out of school which makes them dread coming to class. Having things that kids use every day out of school, like their social networking sites and phones, being banned from school doesn't help them at all. I agree with what one educator said in the video, "as educators we have to accept technology....." We don’t need to only accept it, we need embrace it also.


Leah Davis' Blog

2 comments:

  1. Richard Miller said that he now does research without stepping into a library. All the resources he needs is available with the internet. Making documents available on the internet and not through a book gets ideas out quickly. I also liked how he said, "Ideas don't belong to us, but instead to our culture and we as educators must share our ideas freely." I feel that he is very right and doing this will move our society forward when it comes to technology and even technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amanda,

    First, for some reason your links aren't working, so you need to go back and look at those in the HTML mode. It may be something as simple as forgetting the www. component. Oddly enough, when you copy and paste some links from the URL bar, that part is left out sometimes.

    Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned iTunes U, because I love it! I've used to to listen to podcast lectures about Zombies and "Lord of the Rings" and I hope to use it in my future classroom.

    There were a few grammatical and sentence fluency errors, but nothing too egregious. Just be sure to proofread your posts or type them up in a Word doc. That usually prevents the bulk of simple errors.

    ReplyDelete