About Me

My photo
I attend the University of South Alabama, majoring in Secondary Education Sciences. This is my blog for EDM 310 with Dr. Strange. I want to teach 11th grade Sciences. Any subject is good, I love them all. I want to be a role model for my students. Someone they can look up to and look to for advice.
Also, I love music. I love to hang out with my friends and have fun.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Special Assignment #1

Metaphors For Life



“Dictionary.com” defines a metaphor as “a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol. “ I definitely think that metaphors can be very tricky. I had to read Mr. John Spencer’s Post, “Don’t Let Them Take Pencils Home”, where he uses a metaphor of pencils in the place of computers. Many of the students in EDM 310 didn’t quite get this metaphor so Dr. Strange assigned this assignment to us based on whether or not we got the metaphor Mr. Spencer used. Dr. Strange wants us to answer these questions:

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head," why do
    you think you understood the metaphor?
2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them? (Include in your
    list of metaphors all those that you encounter whether the source is oral, audio, video, print, or
    your own thoughts.
3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use
    metaphors?
4. Why do we use metaphors?

I did not get the metaphor right away. I knew it was a metaphor because why should kids take their pencils home?? The problem I had was deciding what the metaphor was relating the pencils to. By the time I read through it the third time I knew it was about computers. I knew the post wasn’t about pencils; it wouldn’t make any sense at all if it were. The class is primarily based on technology and how it is important to education and a classroom setting, and by putting two and two together, I figured out it was about computers.

I only encountered a few metaphors since we were told about this assignment. Here is my list:
1. "It’s raining cats and dogs"
2. "You are the sunshine of my life"
3. "The world is my oyster"
4. “She has a heart of gold.”
5. “Time flies when you’re having fun.”
6. “It’s cold as ice.”
7. "She stabbed me in the back."
8. "Money doesn't grow on trees."

How can we teach metaphors? That is a very good question. I think the best way to learn this is by example. This can be a challenge in its self though. Everyone uses metaphors every day. I know every time it rains I find myself saying, “It’s raining cats and dogs outside.” Everyone knows how to sue a metaphor, they just don’t know why or when to use one. I feel it comes down to the person’s mental capability. Teachers need to teach metaphors in a way that a student and comprehend and understand.

Metaphors are used to put a concept into terms that someone can understand better. Problems happen when a metaphor is not commonly used. I like a little mystery in my day and metaphors help with that. Why say exactly what we mean, when it's more interesting to use metaphor? Metaphors, as a writing device, are useful to reach many people. Metaphors are useful for making a topic that is hard to understand easier for someone to grasp if they can relate to it.

Metaphors are everywhere. They happen without us trying to use them. When a metaphor is used properly it can make many things clear to the readers. When it isn't use correctly it can lead to further confusion. When people misunderstand a metaphor is not due to the misuse of the metaphor itself, but merely to the expectations of the audience. More than likely they are thinking too hard, or not thinking enough. The cues are there it all depends on whether the person understand and sees the metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment